Whether you’re blogging for business or pleasure, you want readers to stay and actually read what you have to say. Unfortunately, readers tend to have a short attention span and get bored very quickly, so it’s essential to capture their attention and keep it. As past of our online marketing services, here are five tips for attracting readers and getting them to stay and read your content.
1. Keep your posts short and sweet. Readers do not want to commit to reading a super long post to get to the heart of your content—it’s important to keep your posts manageable but rich in information. The general rule of thumb is to aim for a minimum of 300 words with a maximum of 800 words.
2. Write concise headlines. When it comes to headlines, less is more. Strive to create titles that are less than 120 characters so that they are easily tweetable and interesting to potential readers.
3. Create readable posts. Reading from tablets and computer screens can be difficult for some, so do your best to make it as easy as possible. Use a clean, decent sized font—at least 14 px—against an aesthetically pleasing amount of white space. Choose simple yet contrasting colors for your text and background; black and white is better than two bright colors that can be hard on the eye. In addition, make sure your sentences aren’t too long and break up your paragraphs in a way that flows but keeps them short.
4. Be consistent. One of the most important aspects of a successful blog is a regular, consistent posting schedule. Whether you blog daily, twice a week, weekly or bi-monthly, it’s important to maintain a regular schedule so that your readers know what to expect.
5. Speak your audience’s language. Avoid sounding like a press release or news article—blog posts should read more like a conversation. Don’t try to impress your readers with a pretentious vernacular; you don’t want them leaving your blog to look up the meaning of words—chances are they won’t come back.
Click here to learn about our web design and online marketing services.